Neil Gaiman Interview

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

July 12, 2011 -- 9:51 a.m.

There's a great Neil Gaiman interview over at A.V. Club. You should go read it, if you liked American Gods. Go on. I'll wait.

"'[B]estseller' can be a publishing category as much as it can be anything else. It means that the book is going to be on certain shelves, pushed a certain way. Back then, it mattered. I don’t honestly know that it matters anymore. The whole shape of bookselling has changed. Back then, it meant that your publisher would pay for your book to be on the table by the door when you went into a Barnes & Noble or a Borders. There would be those tables, and the publisher is paying for it to be stacked on those tables, rather than back in a particular area. So I knew that because I was being published as a bestseller, I could be a lot more cavalier with my genre distinctions. And I hoped that people who would like it would find it. And I think eventually they did."

While you're reading that, I'll be watching this awesome fake movie trailer.




1 comments:

  1. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    Loved the "trailer!" The whole family was hooting.

Post a Comment