Busy!

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

April 30, 2009 -- 8:08 p.m.
But the bravest fell, and the requiem bell rang mournfully and clear
For those who died that Eastertide in the springing of the year
And the world did gaze, in deep amaze, at those fearless men, but few
Who bore the fight that freedom's light might shine through the foggy dew

Ah, back through the glen I rode again and my heart with grief was sore
For I parted then with valiant men whom I never shall see more
But to and fro in my dreams I go and I'd kneel and pray for you,
For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.
--Foggy Dew, traditional Irish folk song

Yesterday, instead of blogging (or writing) I went to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point. Gorgeous pictures, which I will hopefully, one day, have time to Photoshop and push here. I'm thinking of trying to sell the gardens a calendar or something that they could sell in their Gift Shop. Money is as money does.

My novel's coming along swimmingly. I can do 3,000 words a day or more if I concentrate. Of course, I'll have to throw half of them out the window because they're repetitive but ah well. the only problem is, sometimes my mind can't keep up with my fingers and I write some strange things.

Oddly enough, I write faster sprawled on my stomach in front of my laptop than I do at a desk. I think my 1.5 years as a corporate word-jockey have permanently given me a fear of desks, desk job, and everything that goes with them. With a laptop, I find I can be more creative. I can let the typos flyyyyyy. So, note to writer's block sufferers, try typing on a different kind of computer and see if that jars some words loose.

I've been doing a battle scene, originally minor in the outline, it now sprawls over 10,000 words and three viewpoint characters. The problem is, battles require a heck of a lot of description and a lot of motion. They're not just static. And it just EATS the words up.

Besides, its hard not to expand things to an epic scale when you're listening to Celtic battle music. I dare you to TRY writing a short battle scene after listening to Foggy Dew (see lyrics above).

A strange side effect is that my dragonriders developed an Irish brogue. I doubt I'll keep it--I'm not very good at writing dialect, it's HARD. On the other hand, how cool are IRISH dragonriders? I mean, c'mon. You just know you'd want them swooping in to save the day.

In news, George R. R. Martin reports that filming has begun on the miniseries (for HBO I think) "Game of Thrones." I've always thought these epic fantasy series would make better miniseries than movies. I'm sure a thousand Hollywood screenwriters have knocked their heads together wondering how on earth to turn Wheel of Time into a movie. On the other hand, I think it would make a good series. Episode one: Moirane comes to town + the Trollocs attack. Episode two: Rand hauls his dad through the forest and gets him healed, boys are forced to leave. Episode three: fleeing from Trollocs, hitting Baerloen, maybe cutting out everything else until we reach the gates of Shador Logath. Episode four: Mordeth and the flight from Trollocs... Etc.

HBO did a good job with TruBlood, although I think it lost a lot of its charm in translation just because you can't capture the quirky humor inside Sookie Stackhouse's head with a corny voice-over. The Wonder Years, vampire style.

Gotten go answer email now. Audios!

0 comments:

Post a Comment