Good Cover

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

April 28, 2009 -- 10:58 a.m.

What makes a good cover? Bright colors? Scantily clad women? I don't know. It has to catch the eye and promise me a sense of wonder--a world that is full of unique, vibrant life and creatures that strain my imagination. I want a setting that blazes with magic and power and corrupt empires. For some reason, this cover does it for me. I don't know why, since there's no people or monsters or much of a world to speak of. Something about the colors and the sword and the water. I love sailing tales--perhaps why Janny Wurts carries a special place in my heart despite the fact that nobody else seems to like her.

Perhaps its the setting sun, or the subtle highlights in the water, or the sparkles around the magic sword. All this catches my eye and makes me want to glance at the book.

The website's pretty nifty, too. Talk about great ambient sound: you have birds crying, the waves washing on shore, and an old violin whispering out its melancholy song. Definitely a cut above normal book websites. No way to see the back cover material yet, which is a seller for me, but the first line sounds good. I might have to crawl on over to the library.

1 comments:

  1. Luisa Perkins said...

    It's a very cool cover. It's well executed, and it promises delicious escape. I'd buy it for sure.

Post a Comment