If You Were a Tree...

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

December 8, 2009 -- 12:09 a.m.

So much for me not posting anything...I must be trying to avoid writing!

My goal is to finish Godsplay by Saturday because Dave's doing a signing in Provo and it would be nice to go to him and say: 'Yahoo! I'm done!' Literally, yahoo. Said in as monotone voice as I can manage.

In the mean time, go read Patrick Rothfuss' interview with Campbell Award Nominee Joe Abercrombie, in which he asks one of the most important questions a writer can be asked: if you were a tree, what kind would you be?

(His answer? Oak. My answer: Coconut. Because I think coconuts are funny.)

Speaking of funny words, I have discovered the root of all comedy. Llamas.

The more serious the sentence, the more people will laugh. I'm trying to sell my uncle's llama. Whenever I tell people that, they laugh so hard that they almost start crying. The word llama is THAT funny. Of course, I help add my own touch with the words "slightly-used." You can add "slightly-used" to anything and it raises its humor by +5, -5 to save vs. giggling.

Constantly, the heroes in my humorous fantasy I occasionally write ideas down for are going to ride llamas. I hereby patent this idea! Get your hands off of it, comedy-mongers!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    Hey, no sweat--I've got ostriches.

    Although...what if we collaborated on a llama-ostrich work of fantasy? The new #1 headache for bookstore owners would be people wetting their pants in the fantasy section.

  2. Unrepentant Escapist said...

    That would be awesome. I wonder what an ostrich/llama hybrid would look like. And they could eat buttons :)

Post a Comment