Flu

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

May 26, 2009 -- 10:49 p.m.

Gah, I hate being sick.

The end of draft one of God's play is close enough to spit at. We're in the middle of the FINAL CONFRONTATION (duhn, duhn, duhn!!!!). I'll be sad to let it go. It'll be like leaving all my friends behind.

I am wondering if I made the right decision, plot wise. Brandon Sanderson's first book clocked in at 200,000 words (250,000 pre-edit). Maybe I should have shot for a better, longer story. Not necessarily better though. I like the fact that I'll have a whole book to play around with life in the Caalbehl, capital of the Shedal (Khidal? Khadel?) Empire.

I think I'm going to change just about every name that doesn't belong to the major characters.

One side effect of the shortened novel is there is a lack of male POV characters. I almost threw in a random stable boy to make things more even but figured, eh, it won't really add much. Hopefully, it won't matter. We have a male fire mage, a male spy/sculptor, a male-ish villain and a male grandfather (as opposed to a male grandmother). There's also the male dragonrider, though he never has a POV. I like the brogue, but it's so hard to write. I wonder if there's a way to make it easier. I'll been thinking of trying to find someone who can do a passable accent and having them record all of Iveren/Irwin's lines so I can then type things out phoenetically.

Would you believe that I got a character named Rachell on WoW but I couldn't get the names Thaya or Eoni? Huh.

2 comments:

  1. Luisa Perkins said...

    I hope you feel better soon! Congrats on the nearly done first draft. You're an inspiration.

  2. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    Uh-oh...flu as in stomach flu, or as in flu flu? Either way, ick.

    You go, Godsplay!

Post a Comment