The List

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

May 4, 2009 -- 6:11 a.m.

What would you take if you had 30 minutes to pack for an adventure out in fantasyland? Megan Messinger over at Tor.com ends up with an interesting list.
  • Clothes, worn in layers rather than put in the bags. Women: long skirts, hippie shirts, pea coat, boots, and something to cover our hair. Men: slacks, boots, sweaters, pea coat, a hat. Extra socks.
  • Everyone's pocket knives and Leathermans.
  • Matches and lighters. This might be the only time I’m glad that two of my roommates smoke.
  • My lame-ass keychain compass. Better than nothing, right?
  • One cast-iron pot, a couple of forks and spoons, the big kitchen knives, a mug or two.
  • Make one of the roommates run to the store for bags of lentils and chickpeas, cans of tuna, and Neosporin and bottles of multi-vitamins. One thing we assumed was that if this was to be Fantasyland* and not medieval France, there would probably be a higher standard of medical care, administered by nice men and women wearing green, so less need to hoard medication. Some things are still good to have, though; for example, I would not want to live in a world without Aleve. I might recognize a willow tree if I saw one, but aspirin has never quite done it for me.
  • On that note, tampons. I know we’d run out, but just for the adjustment phase, you know? One thing I don’t want is to be shlepping along through the underbrush in layers of clothes, slung with bags full of cast-iron pots et cetera, and have a freaking “moontime-clout” wedgie. No way.
  • All the toothbrushes and toothpaste in the apartment, so that we blend in with the Fantasyland natives, most of whom have strangely good teeth, except for beggars and old fortune-tellers.
  • Hairbrush
  • Nit comb. (Yeah, we have one. It would be just our luck to get a Fantasyland rampant with lice.)
  • Soap, which is lighter and less messy than shampoo and can also be used for hair.
  • Ziploc bags. I don’t care if they’re shockingly non-period, I want a re-sealable way to keep things dry and airtight while we’re on the road.
Best line of the blog: "I will also be wearing my fuzziest pair of pajama pants under all those skirts."

Second best: "For example, if we were going to Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar, we’d be totally fine and probably even get to meet the Queen; if it were George R.R. Martin’s Westeros, we’d be screwed no matter what, so we might as well make merry around a campfire until we’re slaughtered by roving bandits."

0 comments:

Post a Comment