Book Recommendations from Brandon

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

November 6, 2009 -- 8:50 pm.

Ah...the wonderful world of speed dating. I went today and found it doesn't work for me. I need to spend more than three minutes with a person to discover if there's any connection, unless there are supermodels there, and then its love at first sight. But I did find out about a new local board gaming club, yah!

One of the Storm Leaders over at Dragonmount asked Brandon about what books he read and liked, and since the theme of the week seems to be book recommendations, I thought I'd post them here. Red indicate ones I've read and liked too. Rothfuss is one of the books I bought on my orange and black binge. Strangely, one of the guys I met speeding is Brandon's next door neighbor, which is an odd coincidence...

  • Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind (Sanderson must have sold several copies of Rothfuss’s book last night. He practically ordered one guy to take his signed Gathering Storm, walk downstairs, and buy Name of the Wind off the shelf before leaving the store.)
  • Barbara Hambly: Dragonsbane
  • Jane Yolen: The Pit Dragon Trilogy
  • Melanie Rawn: Dragon Prince (he once set this one on fire, surreptitiously reading it by candlelight after his mom had turned out the lights and sent him to bed.)
  • Terry Pratchett: recommends starting with Guards! Guards!
  • Vernor Vinge: A Fire Upon the Deep
  • Jim Butcher: The Dresden Files
  • Robin Hobb: various trilogies, including the Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies
  • Stephen Brust
  • Adam Rex
Godsplay revision is 30,000 words away from being done, and counting... I'm going slowly, trying to maximize the impact of the climax. It's hard to tell if I'm pulling it off or not. That's what writing groups are for, right?

1 comments:

  1. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    Love the pit dragon trilogy. Started a Robin Hobb series, liked it, wandered off and did something else.

    Eager to hear about the rest!

Post a Comment