Car Troubles

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

November 20, 2009 -- 9:16 p.m.
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke

You know what I hate? Car trouble. I have to jump start my Honda every morning. I've had this problem for a couple years, it only happens during the winter months, but when it's cold, the battery drains overnight. I thought the problem would be fixed when I got a new battery after the old one died completely two months ago, now it's having problems again.

The frustrating thing is that the dealership says its the battery and the battery place says its electrical. I went to three different places yesterday and got three different answers. And because I don't understand how my car works, I can't tell whether what they're telling me makes any sense at all. Cars are magic. They just work. Or, they don't.

It doesn't help me that the last time I went in for car repairs, I got taken in by the mechanic. It was a big national chain so I presumed they would hire people reputable, but perhaps not. Anyway, something about my car sounded really off, and when I came in, it turns out the plastic mud shield was dragging on the ground. But the mechanic also told me that my struts were cracked and various other things were wrong. A simple $10 replacement ended up costing me several thousand dollars. And I'll never know whether he was telling the truth because I didn't get a second opinion. There weren't many mechanics who could do Hondas in rural Montana. I trusted him, even though I probably shouldn't have. Because last year, my aunt went in for car repairs at a different shop and they fed her the same story. But when she took it to a different place, they said it was fine and that was a common thing mechanics shady mechanics said was wrong with their cars.

That's the problem with me. I'm so gullible. I always believe the best of people because I can't believe that anyone would ever intentionally hurt someone. It's like, I'm this vulnerable puppy so why would anyone kick me? I think maybe that's why I constantly date scumbags. Because I'm so absolutely committed to giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, I subconsciously ignore warning signs that other women must pick up on. Well, lesson learned, I suppose.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to get my car fixed soon. And I'll go to the place that told my aunt nothing was wrong. I'll take honesty and integrity over low cost any time.

2 comments:

  1. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    There are a couple of honest car shops here in Springville, if you need any more references.

    My favorite corollary to Rule #3:
    Technology that is distinguishable from magic is not sufficiently advanced.

  2. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    Zoedga.

    I still like Wayssa better, but your ID confirmer thing always rocks!

Post a Comment