Thankful

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

November 26, 2009 -- 3:00 p.m.

Last night, I watched a program on Mayan hieroglyphs. Imagine writing in a language where each syllable is a picture, and one sound can have thirteen different glyph variations. Imagine if letters are hid, one inside another. Imagine if you had to chisel all of these letters on slabs to tell their stories. Someone should incorporate a pictogramatic language into their fantasy world--alien and fantastic words are almost always based on european characters for a good reason, but still, I'd love to see the variety.

I never realized how complicated their language was. A language evolved where the delivery was more artful than the message. I'm thankful I'm not a writer in that time. It would make everything very complicated.

I'm thankful for a lot of things. I'm thankful I have a good mind to learn trivia of ancient civilizations. I'm thankful there are puzzles to solve and things that catch my interest through the duller days of life. I'm grateful I have a family full of loving people who have always sheltered and protected me. I'm thankful they've supported me while I followed my dreams.

I'm thankful I'm physically fit, that I have a body that will let me dance and run around, even though I spend most of every day living on a couch. I'm thankful that I have a lot of books around to inspire me and let my mind fly places humans can only dream of.

I'm grateful that I have a work ethic and a stubbornness that makes it difficult to quit. I'm grateful that I have clean food and water. I'm grateful for shampoo that makes my hair blonder and the sweet, comfortable wonders of denim. If I lived in a time when I had to wear a bustle, I think I'd crack in two. I'm thankful for the turkey cooking above me in my grandmother's oven and the gravy that is always salty enough to make me grit my teeth but that I eat anyway because she works so hard and I don't want to disappoint her.

But most of all, I am thankful for love. For being capable of it, for having examples of it in my life. For the fact that I can feel it because tonight, I'm warm and safe.

Thank you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment