Word Count: Chapter 2

Posted by Unrepentant Escapist

November 4, 2009 -- 11:53 p.m.

Busy day! Christmas shopping takes the blues away! I wrote two new chapters in Godsplay yesterday and I think they turned out all right. It's funny, because when I do so much revising, I don't write much new stuff. It's like working muscles that are cramped with disuse. It takes me a couple of days to find the proper rhythm again, especially if its a character viewpoint I haven't done in a while. Go, Thaya!

But I ended up adding a few new named characters. I think we've spiraled up to 47 total, now. And made one minor character have a viewpoint right before he gets chomped.

One of the things I struggle most with is coming up with new metaphors. I love metaphors, but ugh, I tend to reach for the same ones time and time again.

Word Count for today (this is a short chapter): Sathain 24, Iysifae 8, god 7, eye 7 -- I do love my eyes... -- blood 7, black 7, sister 7, one 7, left 6, "I 6, mortals 6, gods 6, Sathain's 6, eyes 5, face 5, smiled 5, said 5, back 5, lips 4, down 4, born 4, beautiful 4, thought 4, created 4, create 4 -- odd, the repetitions -- enough 4, void 4, years 4, wouldn't 4, did 4, Iyusifae's 4, mortal 3, smooth 3, again 3, still 3, skin 3, beneath 3, watching 3, way 3, dark 3, flesh 3, divine 3, away 3, centuries 3, deep 3, throne 3, past 3, under 3, sense 3, pain 3, Lomari 3, burned 3, though 3, looked 3, course 3, fingers 3, behind 3, lost 3, because 3, around 3, taste 3, hair 3, fought 3, world 3, first 3, brightly 2, many 2, thousand 2, gods' 2, tied 2, much 2, insane 2, quickly, withered 2, hurts" 2, change 2, flame 2, certain 2, mouth 2, ago 2, cold 2, less 2, truly 2, bright 2, died 2, person 2, hated 2, temptation 2, impossibly 2, neck 2, white 2, socket 2, ability 2, without 2, fifty-six 2, power 2, fit 2, old 2, fingertips 2, savoring 2, draw 2 -- ha! Uno! -- twisted 2, red 2, millennia 2 -- why does that come up on my spellcheck?-- feel 2, mind 2, break 2, wasn't 2, must 2, body 2, smoke 2, below 2, hot 2, since 2, ever 2, pathetic 2, needed 2, deluded 2, chance 2, her" 2, watched 2, "it 2, die 2, dried 2, humans 2, voice 2, deity 2, mad 2, god's 2, fire 2, Erratha 2, asked 2, husky 2, times 2, blue 2, above 2, empty 2, Ewah 2, air 2...

Not going to type the one word ones. It's funny you can tell the tones of the chapters by the words. Blood, cold, red, twisted...

Well, most of the chapters will probably have similar word rosters. Ah well.


1 comments:

  1. Lee Ann Setzer said...

    I don't talk about eyes much (not big on eye contact, myself), but I'm forever saying who looked at what. Next book I read, I need to take a look (ahem) at how other authors get the reader to pay attention to what the characters are paying attention to...

Post a Comment